Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Babble: unplug and connect



The other day, Devon and I were talking about how people are constantly on the phone. From Instagramming, tweeting, watching videos...whatever it is, it's more important than the people around them. We thought about how annoying and pathetic it was.

I went to a concert for my birthday with Devon and Andrew. We got there pretty early so we sat and talked. The room was filling up with people but it was still pretty quiet because everyone was on their phone! It was insane. I'm sure that years ago people would have been talking to each other about the artist and which song was their favorite. I've even seen parents losing their children at the children's museum because they were on their phone not focusing on their kid.

This generation and younger are starting to lack verbal communication. It's like we can't carry a conversation in person or without being on the phone somehow. I don't feel like people even talk on the phone anymore! People think they're connected because they're always plugged in when in reality they're just... plugged in.

Think about it, you know I'm right. Next time you go to dinner, watch the people around you and see how many are actually talking to each other and not on their phone. Tell me what you see. Thankfully, Devon and I never had to say anything, we just know. Our time with each other is valuable and we refuse to be on the phone obsessing over someone or something of lesser value than our partner. My friends and family all seem to be on the same page. We never have to say, "Get off your phone and focus." When my friends come over, we hang out. When I see my family, we spend time with each other.

I know how easy it is to be consumed by what's on your gadget. There's movies, television, celebrities to keep up with, "normal famous" people you want to stalk but it's so important to engage with people in person and communicate with them properly.

I really don't know where I'm going with this it's just been on my mind for a while now and needed a place to vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment