Saturday, May 25, 2013

Anthropologie Inspired Pillows



 
Remember when I said I was way too excited about moving back to Georgia?
When I said I was planning décor for the house? 
I wasn’t kidding.

I got accessories for the dining room and living room and
ended up making pillows for the couch…
the couch we don’t have.

But in my defense we have an idea of where
we’ll buy it when we move back so that
counts for something, right?

Maybe not.

Anyways, back to the pillows.

I’ve been looking everywhere for unique yet
charming pillows and no luck. 

Then I fell in love with some at Anthro but Holy Baby Jesus they were expensive.
 Like $98-$168 expensive.
 No and no.

Then something just...clicked.
Sewing machine and Pinterest. Duh. MAKE YOUR OWN.

Both pillows cost me about $30 which is a bargain
compared to the designer robbery I saw earlier.

And they would actually be less if you use
 your own pillows as your forms.

I ended up choosing an envelope pillowcase because
I wanted to be able to remove the cases with ease and wash them. 

Okay aaand the fact I’m new to sewing and zippers intimidate me.
So those weren’t even an option.


I followed this tutorial but tweaked it a little bit.

My measurements should have been:
Front Fabric: 22 x 22
Back Fabric: 22 x 17

But I used these instead:
Front Fabric: 22 x 22
Back Fabric: 22 x 13.5
and I used a 1/4" seam allowance instead of 1/2"
I really should have done the 1/2" because the cases feel loose


These were really simple to make.
But I will admit that ironing was redundant and time consuming
but like Mama always said, “I’ve got more time than money”. 
I would rather spend a few extra minutes than dollars on my pillows.

I can’t stop staring at them and I cannot wait to see how they look in our living room.

 I just can’t wait to be in our living room.

P.S. We move in less than two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment